Indoor air pollution has been ranked as one of the biggest environmental threats to health and yet 77% of people are unaware that indoor air can be more polluted than the air outside. We spend 90% of our time inside in conditions which are potentially damaging to our health.
Here are 10 facts everyone should know about indoor air pollution:
1. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has ranked indoor air pollution among the top five environmental threats to health.
2. The air in our homes is up to five times more polluted than the air outside. In some cases it can be up to 100 times more polluted.
3. Each year close to 4 million people die prematurely due to illnesses attributed to household air pollution.
4. The average person receives 72% of their toxic chemical exposure in the home.
5. Domestic items such as traditional paints, furniture, household hygiene products, and other VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds) release toxins into the air we breathe.
6. We spend up to 90% of our time indoors without enough fresh air or daylight.
7. Indoor air pollution is linked to increased risk of pneumonia, COPD and lung cancer.
8. Exposure to pollutants in enclosed spaces can cause a number of symptoms, such as headaches, drowsiness, nausea, eye, nose and throat irritation, coughing, fatigue, allergies and asthma attacks.
9. Drying your clothes inside dramatically increases indoor humidity yet 65% of all Europeans dry clothes indoors at least once a week. This additional moisture in the air can lead to damp conditions in your home, which could lead to mould growth. Black mould can cause health problems, particularly of a respiratory nature, as it releases spores into the air we breathe.
10. Scented candles can release pollutants such as volatile organic compounds, which in turn can trigger asthma attacks and raise the risk of heart disease. Cases have been found where formaldehyde has also been released. Formaldehyde was named as a known cancer-inducing carcinogen in 2011 by the National Toxicology Program.
Is it time to Airlite your home?
Airlite is a revolutionary new paint that turns walls into a natural air purifier. It uses light-energy and the humidity in the air to reduce polluting agents (including NOx) and helps eliminate bacteria and mould. It neutralises odours and creates an invisible, protective film on walls which stops dirt and dust from attaching. It is VOC free; it uses no harmful chemicals. You can apply it with windows and doors closed and you can breathe clean, odourless air straight away.
· Environmental Protection Agency
· YouGov (2018) — The Indoor Generation Report
· British Lung Foundation
· World Health Organisation
· Asthma UK