Join our newsletter

Do you care about the health of your children at school?

The school environment, both for early childhood, primary and secondary schools, can accommodate many sources of toxic substances and allergens, of which children are not aware. It is a very big problem, as children are much more vulnerable than adults because their immune system is still immature.

It is therefore advisable to pay attention to the environments where children spend most of their time: school and classroom. Indoor school spaces, which are smaller than a normal office in terms of population density per surface area on a daily basis and are frequented daily by a heterogeneous population (teachers, school staff, pupils) and vulnerable groups (e. g. allergic and asthmatic subjects), can conceal multiple risk factors for physical, chemical and biological health. The potentially toxic and allergenic substances in the environment are different, among them we can list some teaching materials, construction and furnishing materials, chemical detergents, as well as mould and pollen, which can be found outdoors, where children play and spend their free time.

The correlation between the type of paint used, respiratory problems and allergic symptoms related to VOCs is indeed known. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are those airborne microparticles that we breathe when we are indoor (at home, at school, in the office).  The most common of them are formaldehyde, benzene, solvents, paints, varnishes and of course dust and some forms of decomposition of building materials that, also due to excessive humidity, generate the onset of fungi, bacteria and molds.

Careful choice of materials and construction methods is essential to avoid this kind of problem. Paints in particular, which can contain up to 100 grams of VOC for every litre of paint, are very dangerous.

The latest technologies offer various solutions to combat air pollution. In particular, some innovations, using sunlight, can significantly reduce the presence of NOx and other pollutants in the air and eliminate the presence of harmful bacteria.

One of these can be applied as a simple painting on every surface, transforming a wall into a natural air purifier that is activated by light. It is called Airlite and is a painting that decomposes the pollutants making them become molecules of salt and that allows to eliminate bacteria and bad smells, simply if subjected to the action of a light source, such as sunlight or a light bulb.

Using Airlite technology is very simple: you just paint, as if it were a normal coating, the surfaces concerned, and ensure constant light exposure.

This technology makes it possible to eliminate harmful substances from the air, making the atmosphere of these places more pleasant. In practice, it ensures that these harmful particles are neutralised, making the air cleaner.

Furthermore, Airlite is also effective on the surface, where it kills and decomposes the bacteria’ cells, preventing them from spreading and preventing the formation of mould.

Airlite’s cost compares favorably to premium paints on the market. Moreover, it offers an easy and durable application over time and, thanks to its natural formula completely VOC free, it dries quickly even when the windows are closed, without noxious fumes or unpleasant odours: unlike ordinary paints, it can therefore be used also in winter.

 

This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 738719